How Often Should You Change Your Oil?
Getting a frequent oil change is one way to keep your vehicle running as long as possible around Chicago, Skokie, Park Ridge, and Forest Park. Still, many aren’t sure how often they need to get the oil changed in their vehicle.
That’s why we here at Marino Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram created this guide to oil changes. We’ll go over the significance of engine oil and how often it should get replaced. Read all about it below, and don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
What Does Engine Oil Do?
Engine oil is what lubricates the moving components of an engine. When the engine in your vehicle is running, the parts move against each other, causing friction. As more friction develops, the more the engine will heat up. If there’s too much heat, the engine won’t work properly, which could result in an engine failure. Therefore, oil is used to keep all the components nice and cool.
However, the oil can only do its job when it’s clean, which is why it’s crucial to have it changed regularly.
When Should You Get It Changed?
While there are different recommendations for how often you should get an oil change, the average is about every 5,000 to 7,500 miles for regular passenger cars. If your vehicle has a diesel engine, or if you frequently travel in severe driving conditions, that number changes to every 3,000 miles or six months (whichever comes first).
Severe driving conditions include:
- Short trips of less than five miles in normal temperatures
- Driving in constant stop-and-go traffic.
- Traveling on roads that are dusty, muddy, or salty
Regardless of the type of driving you normally do, it’s still important to get frequent oil changes. If you can’t remember how long it’s been since the last one, then you can keep an eye out for several warning signs…
Possible Warning Signs
There are several indications of needing an oil change, including…
- Burning oil smell: If you notice the smell of burning oil in your cabin, then there’s a leak under the hood. If you also smell gas, then the car is overheating, and oil is now burning inside the exhaust area. This could not only cause great damage to your vehicle, but it could also start a fire.
- Dirty oil: When oil is clean, it’s an amber color. As oil works to keep the engine cool, it’ll begin to pick up debris, which turns it gritty and dark brown or black. This mean it’ll stop properly lubricating the engine and will need to be replaced.
- Check engine light: One of the most obvious signs of needing an oil change is if your check engine light appears on your dash. If this light appears, then the oil level has reached a dangerous low and needs to be changed immediately.
Schedule an Oil Change Today!
If your vehicle needs an oil change, then schedule service at Marino Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram today. We’ve helped many drivers throughout Chicago, Skokie, Park Ridge, and Forest Park with their vehicle’s oil change needs, and we look forward to doing the same for you.